14 Oct 2011

Cameron McMillan




The first and the last time I've seen Cameron Macmillan was when I went to see 'Exposure' at Royal Opera House in July - I was in the second row, so I got to see him in an almost point-blank range... and I still haven't got over him, it seems! Not that I constantly think of him or anything, but it looks like he left a really strong impression on my mind in that brief performance. 


Rarely have I seen a man so beautiful.. His whole body seemed to scream 'BALLET'! The somewhat feminine (yet muscular) bodyline was something I also noticed with the male dancers in 'Sherazade' by Marlinsky Ballet this summer. At first I thought it was a saphist orgy! (Well, I was right about the orgy bit, but it was between male and female dancers.. Blame the androgynous costumes.) 





There's something so indescribably effeminate and delicate about a male ballet dancer's body, save a few exception like: Carlos Acosta, who is packed with voluminous muscles and wild masculinity. Or Dean Cross (who I've only just seen on 'Happy as Larry'), who is beautiful in a very manly way - a way that gives women a sense of security. 




However, although delicate and highly sensual - with waistline that resembles a woman's, small pelvis, thin legs and slim build without a trace of fat anywhere -, a male dancer's body is strong and controlled, packed with slim muscles. After all, a ballet dancer can be compared to an athlete in the toughness of the training to acquire the highest degree of skill - only that ballet could be harder as it is not just a matter of having good skills, but also about maintaining a perfect appearance and presentation in front of thousands of audience staring at you, something most athletes don't need to endure except a few rare occasions like the Olympics. 


The kind of beauty this guy had was slightly different, though. I guess it's the experience, being one of the most prominent dancers/choreographers out there; but fuelled with a highly professional attitude, you could FEEL the immense inner strength and discipline this person has with his every facial expression and moves he spread across the stage. It was interesting to see someone with such striking, sophisticated appearance oozing with sharp, direct attitude and intelligence and firm preciseness (which I think is one of the predominant 'manly' traits of men). 
In other words, this man was a perfect Apollonian.



No comments:

Post a Comment