16 Dec 2011

Matthew Bourne's Nutcracker


Campiness done with taste... Matthew Bourne's 'Nutcracker!' is a triumph!
This guy really does deserve to be the nation's choreographic sweetheart.



I watched last year's 'Cinderella' at the New Wimbledon Theatre, and have to say it was quite disappointing for me after hearing so much about Matthew Bourne.
Hence I was NOT expecting something half as good as this when I went to watch 'Nutcracker!' at Sadler's Wells yesterday.. No, the word 'good' doesn't do this production justice- The thing was a pure perfection. By the time I walked out of the theatre, I was completely baffled by how something that is made up of so many elements that just scream 'CAMP!!!!' can be done so seamlessly and inoffensively. I mean... Who would have imagined THAT song from ballet/Fantasia-version Nutcracker to be so adaptable to THIS kind of context? The story itself was witty and offered so much to savour and smile on, but the synchronisation between the storytelling and the music was INGENIOUS... So tastefully modern but without ever loosing the charm of the original score. Tchaikovsky is one of my all time favourite composers due to the strong narrative quality of his music, and what can I say?
When two great storytellers meet- even with the gap of two centuries- this is the kind of result you get from their geniuses.

You could see that the whole crew of New Adventures, not just Matthew Bourne himself, really had fun making this work - there was so much affections, passion, and playfulness going on on the stage between the dancers and also with the audience members. Maybe it was just the effect all the 'pinkness' and 'sweetness' was creating, but I felt there really was love in the air. The whole experience was just fantastic. If anyone reads this, go and watch it- you won't regret!

+ It is actually my first time having been to the Sadler's Wells (I've only been to Peacock theatre several times), and wow.. The view and the sound from even the Second Balcony was amazing. Except the very top of the background sets, the view was clear and you had no trouble seeing the performers, and the sound was very good too. I think the ticket was almost half the price I paid for 'Cinderella', and yet NWT's 2nd balcony was far worse..

No comments:

Post a Comment