23 Oct 2011



I've long been quite sceptical about the whole Korean Wave thing, but with SNSD's increasing popularity worldwide, I guess it's finally the time to admit it's actually beginning to affect more than just South-East Asia now.


Well, I'm more than happy to be a windmill using this new wind called ''韓流" as my main source of energy. SO SOMEONE GIVE ME WORK TO DO! I heard from a friend yesterday that her friend working in Taiwan told her of the immense popularity of Korean culture in his country, and recommended that she uses this as an opportunity to find good commissions in the future.


However, the nature of Korean Wave has its roots in its undeniable dependence on young, overworked idols and their short lifespan... It is definitely not to be assumed that the current Korean entertainment industry, with its system soaked in injustice and heavy manufacturing of "well-trained mannequins"*(I'd like to say this in homage to Olympia, the singing automaton in 'The Tales of Hoffman'), will last long without breaking down at some point... So do beware.


[Wiki source on Korean Wave: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_wave]



* This play by 권병준 sounds really interesting.. Had I been in Korea, I'd have gone to see this! (http://news.hankooki.com/lpage/culture/201107/h2011071221285386330.htm)

No comments:

Post a Comment