17 Jun 2011

Romeo & Juliet by the Royal Ballet at The O2 [draft]


The beginning of the ambitious 4-day concert from Royal Ballet began today (and I was there)! 


Although I love watching ballet, I don't know the names of many ballerinas/ballerinos, but I was acquainted with the names of both Carlos Acosta and Tamara Rojo as they are hugely famous dancers, and I was fortunate enough to see them perform together tonight. 

Interview of Rojo: http://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/2011/jun/13/tamara-rojo-ballet-dancers-not-masochists (Will Rojo will be appearing in Strictly Gershwin tomorrow as well? Because I'm watching it..)



Although I don't know a huge deal about ballet, I can say they were absolutely brilliant!
Very well-casted, indeed.


Acosta is muscular, lively and every move he makes is strong, bold and energetic; Rojo looks tiny and frail (and she DOES NOT look 37), her moves elegant and immaculate, and is an incredibly good actress. The fact that Acosta is dark-skinned and Rojo is pale also creates a lovely contrast between the pair and supports these characteristics even more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment